How does it work?
- You create a free profile on our site including your experience, references and photos
- You check the list of jobs online and apply for those that suit you.
- We email you every time a new job comes in so you can log on to apply.
- If you are chosen you get sent a contract confirming the details.
- You will be paid £12 per hour for short term jobs in cash.
- We also advertise longer term jobs where accommodation is provided.
- The employer posts feedback on your profile, allowing you to build up a portfolio of references.
- You manage your own diary, and can work as much or as little as you want to.
- Long term jobs vary, but are usually 9am to 5pm for six days a week.
- Short term jobs can be anything from 1 to 50 hours a week.
- We cannot guarantee you a minimum number of bookings because parents decide who they would like as their nanny.
- This means that the nannies with the most experience and the best references will get chosen first.
- To increase your chances of being chosen for every job you apply for you can:
Add as many child care references as you can to your profile.
Do a fabulous job EVERY time. A reference for each job you do will be added to your profile.
Try to be as flexible as possible about your hours.
Provide lots of detail in your profile about your childcare experience.
Get an up-to-date DBS check or do some First Aid training
- Joining the Urban Child Care register is free for nannies, so we do not charge you anything for our service.
- You will receive £12 per hour directly from the parents at the end of a job.
- Parents pay £14.50 per hour in total. They pay £2.50 per hour to Urban Childcare when they confirm a booking, and the remaining £12 an hour goes direct to you.
- Wages for long term jobs all vary so we will include this when we advertise the job on our website and email you.
- If you do have a recent DBS please include the date of it in your profile.
- We don’t insist that you have a DBS, or your countries equivalent but it is always better to have one. If several people apply for the same job, it might have an impact on how parents choose so you might decide to get one.
- We can carry out a DBS for you through an umbrella body in the UK. This costs £75 and takes approximately one week to complete. Contact us if you would like to do this.
- You will need your own insurance to cover yourself.
- We do not employ nannies ourselves, but match you with parents who become your temporary employers under short term contracts.
- You will be paid in cash at the end of your time with them.
- This means that you are effectively self employed during the period, so are responsible for declaring your income.
- We will not get involved with your tax affairs, and don’t provide your details to anyone. You are solely responsible for declaring your income.
- Lots of our nannies are already employed by other child care agencies and have additional jobs through us to cover their quiet periods. Any work you do through us will not affect your PAYE status, or tax situation with your other employer. You just ought to declare it yourself as well.
- You can find information about how to declare your income in the UK at http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/